Friday, February 17, 2012

EXCUSE ME SIR, BUT YOUR PEEING ON MY LEG

Today I have learned a new expression. 'Touche', which pronounces as 'too-shay'. It is used too acknowledge a success of an argument. Or in other words, to admit honorably that " ah.. you've got me there".

So, Runni.. I've read your recent post and yes, .....touche:)


The title has nothing to do with this post. It is a comedy clip I found from youtube that I will put at the end of this post just for laughs. A laugh a day keeps the doctors away.

Today I would like to share a poem that is common to most people, as this is one of the famous poems during high school. It is a nostalgic review for me because it is one of the hardest literature review to understand (at that time), and this is a poem where I can relate to.

Si Tanggang's homecoming

The physical journey that I traverse
Is a journey of the soul, 
Transport of the self from a fatherland 
To a country collected by sight and mind 
The knowledge that sweats from it
Is a stranger’s knowledge,
From one who has learnt to see, think
And choose between The changing realities.

It’s true I have growled at my mother and grandmother
But only after having told of my predicament 
That they have never brought to reason. 
The wife that I began to love in my loneliness,
In the country that alienated me, 
They took to their predecisions.
I have not entirely returned, 
I know,
Having been change by time and place,
Coarsened by problems
Estranged by absence.

But look, I have brought myself home,
Seasoned by confidence,Broadened by land and languages,
I am no longer afraid of the oceans
Or the differences between people
Not easily fooled by words or ideas 
The journey was a loyal teacher
Who was never tardy
In explaining cultures or variousness.


It is true, almost six months I have been away from home. Away from my complacency in life, the way of life that I prefer and away from my families and friends. No more jogging on Sunday morning at Tasek with abah or Izaan, Imanul, and have breakfast at Lontong Klang after exercise. No more accompanying Tok Mak to the Sunday Market at the Stadium Melawati (Now I substitute with Sunday morning car boot sale).

I miss hangouts, picnic with friends at Junjung waterfall, karaoke, hotwater in Baling with the Rnr gang, cycling to Batu Ferringhi with Danial san. Watching movies at the Pacific (berapa kali je pun pegi). I am the kind of 'lepak' person. But not a meaningless lepak, I love activities that involve outdoors. I prefer picnic at the beach rather that karaoke with friends (kalau only with runni I ok aje).  

In Staffs, to counter my boredom of studies. For social life I do join the bible class studies on Thursday night and Arabic class on Friday night. And also on Sunday evening I go to the Global Cafe to join tea party and play chess with Mike. On Wednesdays, I like to join talks and activities carried out by the career center.

Mike reminds me of the late Pak Non, the old timer next to my flat in Penang. I look to them as my grandfathers. I always have grandfathers even back during my time in mrsm Langkawi. I won't forget them. I owe them.

No more copy paste or 'tiru' from colleagues when doing assignment (they take plagiarism very very very seriously here) I have to do on my own. Which means going to the library often and reading a lot and a lot and a lot of textbooks. My lecturers told me to have the mentality of assuming study life as a full time job. Where you work from 8 till 5, probably more, and the Degree as your salary.

 No more 'lewat', 'janji melayu', as I have been scolded sarcastically here (Liverpool trip). They will treat you differently when your late for no reason, they will really relate that to where I come from and say that you are a disgrace to your country:( 

The Mat Salleh here takes punctuality issue very seriously. Especially Germans, I have a German lecturer and he always early in everything. He is the first of all my lecturers to finish marking papers.

No more Taekwondo class with Ustaz Mansur (I miss him and Ummi). But I do attend boxercise class on Tuesdays here in the uni, and recently a kick boxing class on Fridays. I will miss all that once I started working probably on April.

Seems that I really live comfortable here aside from all the activities that I join in Staffs. But don't judge me thinking that I neglect my studies by joining this kind of activities. Yes I am not doing well currently, but not that I do nothing about it.

I believe in the drive that makes a person enthusiastic in whatever their doing. If some people must smoke in order to concentrate during study. Then I have my own methods.

I also believe in intentions of the goal that one is pursuing. From the last paragraph of the poem, is the my true real intention.

Which is, I want to go home. Where there is peace at home. For I will not go home empty handed, Not only with a Degree, Masters, PhD, but with limitless knowledge to share and to contribute to the community, and my religion. Insyaallah.


I'm gonna stop being serious for a the time being, lets just enjoy this clip.



No comments:

Post a Comment